Home >

September 22, 2017

For More Information, contact:
Mike Lewis (334) 353-2199
Steve Marshall
Joy Patterson (334) 242-7491
Page 1 of 2
Alabama Attorney General

(MONTGOMERY) – Attorney General Steve Marshall announced the conviction
today of Kharon Torchec Davis for the murder of Pete Dwayne Reaves. Davis was
convicted by a jury in Houston County Circuit Court late today following a trial that
began on Monday.
The Attorney General’s Criminal Trials Division presented evidence at trial that
Davis shot and killed Reaves on June 9, 2007, during the course of a first-degree robbery
at the victim’s home in the Rolling Hills community of Dothan. Reaves was 30 years old
when he was killed.
Evidence showed that three men had been seen that day behind Reaves’
apartment looking through the windows. A few hours later, Davis and two other men
came to the apartment. One of the men, Kevin McCloud, was negotiating to purchase
marijuana, and a few minutes later someone came in shooting. McCloud was struck in
the neck, and the victim, Reaves, was shot fatally in the chest and side. McCloud told
police multiple times that the shooter was Kharon Davis, though he testified at trial that
he did not know. McCloud’s blood was found in Davis’ vehicle as well as on Davis’ ring
finger and clothes. The murder weapon had been reported stolen approximately three
weeks earlier from the residence of a relative of Davis during a barbecue that Davis
attended. McCloud is serving a 99-year sentence after pleading guilty in 2011 to murder
for his part in Reaves death. The third man was found not guilty in 2009.
“I am pleased that justice now has been delivered for the victim’s family and it is
appropriate that the defendant will serve a long time in prison for the murder he
committed,” said Attorney General Marshall.
Davis was convicted of felony murder and faces a sentence of 20 to 99 years or
life imprisonment. Sentencing is set for October 17.

501 Washington Avenue * Montgomery, AL 36104 * (334) 242-7300
www.ago.state.al.us Page 2 of 2

The Attorney General’s Office assumed prosecution of the case earlier this year
and brought the case to trial. The Attorney General’s Office is now handling the case at
the request of the District Attorney’s Office, which recused due to a conflict.
Attorney General Marshall commended those involved in bringing this trial to a
successful conclusion, noting in particular Assistant Attorneys General Kenneth Gibbs
and Stephanie Billingslea of the Attorney General’s Criminal Trials Division; Special
Agents of the Attorney General’s Investigations Division; Sarah Green, Director of the
Attorney General’s Office of Victim Assistance; and Lori Arnold, Legal Research
Assistant for the Criminal Trial’s Division. He thanked the Dothan and Geneva police
departments, the sheriff’s offices of Houston and Geneva counties, Wiregrass Angel
House and the Alabama Department of Corrections.